Daily Current Affairs March 10, 2020 for knowledge-base and other related exams.
Buhari writes House of Assembly Reps, seeks amendments to new Finance Act
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday March 10, 2020 wrote to the House of Representatives to seek amendments to the Finance Act recently passed by the National Assembly.
- The letter which was read by the Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, at the plenary on Tuesday, called on Reps. to amend the ACT to indicate that the new law took effect from February 1, 2020.
- Buhari in letter also asked the lawmakers to amend the ACT to indicate that the annual fees payable on basic good items are different from Valued Added Tax.
Reps postpone consideration of Buhari’s $22.7billion loans
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila on Tuesday March 10, 2020 announced the postponement of the consideration of the report on the $22.7billion loan request by President Muhammadu Buhari.
- The consideration of the request on the floor of the house was scheduled for Tuesday but, Speaker, Gbajabiamila said it had to be postponed as a result of ongoing consultations with the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed.
Nationwide verification of Teacher’s Professional certification begins
The Registrar/Chief Executive of Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) Professor Segun Ajiboye on Tuesday March 10, 2020 announced that the nationwide verification of Teacher’s Professional certification has commenced in 33 States and FCT.
- Ajiboye added that the nationwide verification of Teacher’s Professional certification is not to witch hunt but to sanitize the profession.
- He further explained that the TRCN officials and State Monitoring team leaders will be moving from school to school and that the exercise is not aimed at witch hunting, but to sanitize the profession.
UNILORIN ASUU Joins 2-Week Warning Strike, First In 20 Years
Unilorin has after 17 years of non-interrupted academic session joined in the ongoing ASUU two weeks warning strike.
- The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), University of Ilorin Chapter, has declared to obey the national body and commence a two-week warning strike on Tuesday.
- Prof. Moyosore Ajao, the Unilorin ASUU branch Chairman, confirmed who confirmed the news explained that the two-week warning strike is over non-payment of salaries of lecturers who failed to enroll in the Federal Government’s Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS).
Coronavirus: Buhari sets up task force to help control spread of the virus
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday Tuesday 10, 2020 announced a coronavirus task force with the aim of helping control the virus which as at today had affected two persons.
- According to a statement by the presidency, the set up of task force is in preparation for the unlikely but probable major outbreak of the disease in the country which will require a multi-sectoral inter-governmental approach as advised by the World Health Organization, WHO, similar to that adopted for the HIV epidemic in the last 2 decades
- The task force which will be led by the Secretary-General of the federation, Boss Mustapha has a national coordinator with seven sector ministers. Other members of the task force according to the statement are the head of the National Disease Control Commission and a WHO rep.
Two NIMASA Executive Directors sacked as New DG Jamoh resumes office
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday March 10, 2020 sacked two Executive Directors of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) and appointed three new ones.
- The two executive directors sacked are Rotimi Fasakin (Executive Director Operations) and Gambo Ahmed (Executive Director, Maritime Labour and Cabotage Services). Their sack is coming on the heels of the appointment of Dr Bashir Jamoh as new Director-General of the agency.
- President Muhammadu Buhari has reportedly approved the appointment of RT. Hon. (Engr) Victor Ochei as new NIMASA’s Executive Director of Maritime Labour and Carbotage Services.
Buhari Inaugurates NDDC Advisory Committee
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday March 10, 2020 in Abuja inaugurated the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Advisory Committee, made up of the nine governors of the Niger Delta region, the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs and his counterpart in the Ministry of Environment in the State House.
Amotekun: Makinde signs bill into law
Oyo state governor Seyi Makinde, on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 signed the State Security Network Agency bill codenamed Operation Amotekun into law.
Kanu Nwankwo writes Ighalo to reverse decision of retiring from Super Eagles
Former Nigeria striker, Kanu Nwankwo, has called on Odion Ighalo to reverse his decision to retire from international football. Ighalo, after helping the Super Eagles team win the third place at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, revealed he was retire from the team.
The 30-year-old is presently on six-month loan deal with the Red Devils, Manchester United.
President Xi visits Wuhan as coronavirus outbreak slows in China
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday March 10, 2020 made his first appearance in the epicenter, Wuhan which has been under lockdown for weeks. His visit is coming few days after reports of the outbreak slowing down in China.
According to Beijing, fewer than 20,000 of the 80,000 confirmed cases are still under treatment in the country.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0