Last updated on May 25th, 2020 at 08:11 pm
COVID-19 Report for Sunday, May 24, 2020
- The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Thursday, May 23, 2020 recorded 265 new cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) thus bringing the total number of infections in the country to 7,526
- With the latest announcement, the total number of discharged patients increased to 2,174, while the total of deaths is now 221.
N-Power beneficiaries receives April stipends
- The stipends of N-Power beneficiaries for the month of April have been paid.
- This was disclosed by Sadiya Umar Farouq, minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development on May 23, 2020.
- The minister attributed the delay in the payment of April stipends to GIFMIS platform issue.
- She was quoted to have said the payments were made to N-Power beneficiaries from batch A and B after delays from the GIFMIS platform were rectified.
- She was also reported to have said that payment for the month of May is being processed.
COVID-19 Clinical Trial in Nigeria
- The Lagos State Government says it would enlist 600 patients to determine the efficacy of Chloroquine as a valid treatment for COVID-19.
- The adaptation of Chloroquine for clinical trial as a potential drug in managing the symptoms of COVID-19 is based on data from other treatment centres across the world.
Children’s Day – May 27
- Ahead of this year’s Children’s Day coming up on May 27, 2020, the Lagos State government has initiated plans to launch ‘Virtual Read Aloud’ Lagos for students in all its 20,000 public primary and secondary schools in the state.
- The Director General, Quality Assurance, Ministry of Education, Mrs. Abiola Seriki-Ayeni, who made this known in a virtual Press briefing held in Lagos on Sunday, May 24, 2020 said this will be made possible via radio, television, social media and the ministry’s website, and will targeted at students of 18 years and below.
- Virtual Read Aloud’ Lagos for students promises to be interactive because there will be competition that would trend on the social media for students who are good at writing, reading, drawing or acting.