World No Tobacco Day 2020: Theme, Quiz, 50 Quit Smoking Quotes and More
Today, iWanSabi Nigeria is joining the Federal Ministry of Health and World Health Organisation, WHO in the fight against the use of tobacco.
On World No Tobacco Day 2020, we have put together brief history of this annual event, the 2020 theme, it’s significance, 50 inspiring quit smoking quotes and quiz questions and answers to test your knowledge.
Today is #WorldNoTobaccoDay & every year about 6 million people die from tobacco related disease.
— Federal Ministry of Health, NIGERIA (@Fmohnigeria) May 31, 2020
World No Tobacco Day is an annual event that is observed on May 31st. It aims to spread awareness about the harmful effects of tobacco on health. The campaign also tries to reduce the prevalence of the diseases and deaths due to the consumption of tobacco.
The World Health Organization (WHO) promotes World No Tobacco Day each year to highlight the health risks of using tobacco and to encourage governments to put policies into action that help to reduce smoking and the use of other tobacco products.
Brief History of World No Tobacco Day
The World Health Organisation passed a resolution in 1987 that announced April 7th 1988 as ‘World No Smoking Day’. This act was done to motivate people and to prevent them from using tobacco for at least 24 hours. The aim behind this was to help those who are struggling to quit the use of tobacco.
Later in the year 1988, WHO passed another resolution starting that the ‘World No Tobacco day,’ will be observed in May 31st.
In 2008, the WHO banned any kind of advertisement or promotion about tobacco, something it did with the mindset that the ads or promotions attract youth to indulge in smoking.
Significance of World No Tobacco Day
According to WHO, tobacco use kills more than 8 million people around the world each year. Smoking any kind of tobacco reduces lung capacity and increases the severity of respiratory diseases. Covid19 is an infectious disease that primarily attacks the lungs. Due to which, research suggests that smokers are at higher risk of developing severe Covid-19 outcomes and death.
On this day, several campaigns, events and activities are organised to educate people about the bad effects of tobacco on health. There immediate and long-term health benefits if you quit smoking. According to WHO, some of the beneficial health changes that take place are:
- Within 20 minutes, your heart rate and blood pressure drop.
- In 12 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal and in 2- to 12 weeks, your lung function increases.
- In 1 to 9 months, coughing and shortness of breath decrease and in 1 year, your risk of coronary heart disease is about half that of a smoker’s.
Through this campaign, the World Health Organisation tries to debunk myths and expose devious tactics employed by these industries.
World No Tobacco Day 2020: Theme
Every year World No Tobacco is observed with a different theme; the 2020 theme of World no Tobacco Day is ‘Protecting youth from industry manipulation and preventing them from tobacco and nicotine use‘.
This theme tries to empower youth to understand the tactics used by the tobacco industry to sell these products. Adequate information can help understand the negative effect of tobacco use and the need to stand against them. Parents should educate children about the harm smoking can do to their bodies.
The theme of Anti-Tobacco Day in 2019 was ‘Tobacco and Lung Health‘ while 2018 was ‘Tobacco and heart disease‘.
On this World No Tobacco Day, here are some quit smoking quotes which you send to your friend’s, colleague’s or loved once and encourage them to remain smoke-free.
50 Inspiring Quotes to Quit Smoking
- “The perfect time to stop smoking is now because every day you are smoke-free matters.”
- “Smokers don’t grow old…they die young.”
- “Smoking is a habit that drains your money and kills you slowly, one puff after another. Quit smoking, start living.”
- “Your life is in your hands, to make of it what you choose.”
- “A cigarette is the only consumer product which when used as directed kills its consumer.”
- “Smoking cigarettes is like paying to have your life cut shorter.”
- “If you ever lit a cigarette in your life, you have very little will to live.”
- “Burn calories, not cigarettes.”
- “The key is focusing on the positive. Build up the good things in your life and the smoking will go away by itself.”
- “Be brighter, put down the lighter.”
- “Life’s vibrant hues are way too beautiful and precious to be distorted by the smoke of cigarettes.”
- “Only a fool would put his lips at the other end of a burning fire. Stop being a fool.”
- “A cigarette a day keeps the doctor in pay.”
- “Cigarette: A fire at one end, a fool at the other, and a bit of tobacco in between.”
- “It’s never too late – in fiction or in life – to revise.”
- “Tar the roads, not your lungs.”
- “Cigarettes are the classy way to commit suicide.”
- “I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.”-Aristotle
- “Thousands of people stop smoking a day – by dying from it.”
- “If people don’t love themselves enough to cut down on their smoking, they may love someone else enough to do it.”
- “When you can stop, you don’t want to, and when you want to stop, you can’t.”
- “Gift your lungs oxygen not tar. Gift your body exercise not bad health. Gift your lips kisses not cigarette butts. Gift yourself a life not death.”
- “Smokers, male and female, inject and excuse idleness in their lives every time they light a cigarette.”
- “We cannot, in a moment, get rid of habits of a lifetime.”- Mahatma Gandhi
- “A successful quit attempt starts with the decision to try. Making a firm decision to stop smoking will fuel you with determination and motivation.”
- “What lies in our power to do, lies in our power not to do.”-Aristotle
- “Inhale the future, exhale the past.”
- “Disadvantages of smoking are many but those of quitting are none. Advantages of smoking are none but those of quitting are many.”
- “The mind always fails first, not the body. The secret is to make the mind work for you not against you.”
- “Say yes to life, say no to tobacco.”
- “Smoking is your weakness, your comfort. Quitting smoking is a transformational process that will change your confidence in yourself, your health and your life.”
- “Good habits are just as addictive as bad habits. But much more rewarding.”
- “Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak, sometimes it means you are strong enough and smart enough to let go.”
- “Don’t exchange what you want most for what you want at that moment.”
- “Smoking helps in losing weight, one lung at a time.”
- “Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs.”
- “Smoking: It ruins your life, her life, and their lives.”
- “Your craving is TEMPORARY but the damage to your lungs is PERMANENT.”
- “Replacing the smoke on your face with a smile today will replace illness in your life with happiness tomorrow.”
- “A cigarette says: Today you turn me into ashes, but tomorrow is my turn.”
- “Health is not everything, but without health, everything else is nothing.”
- “This could be the day you stop doing that self-destructive thing you do.”
- “The best time to quit smoking was the day you started, the second best time to quit is today.”
- “Quitting smoking is rather a marathon than a sprint. It is not a one-time attempt, but a longer effort.” -Aristotle
- “You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.”
- “You will be a happy non-smoker only when being a smoker stops defining who you are.”
- “There will never be a perfect moment to quit smoking. Don’t wait for life to change, it won’t.”
- “Everything you are and everything you have is because of a decision you once made. Decide to quit smoking, and nothing will stop you.” — Nasia Davos
- “Every time you try to quit smoking you are actually getting closer to staying smoke-free.”
- “Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life.”
World No Tobacco Day 2020 Quiz
Take the 2020 Quiz [May 31st] for the World No Tobacco Day to test your knowledge today.